Use above Custom Search to search for relevant topics

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Create new blogs with Google Blogger

It is very easy to create a new blog with Google Blogger. All you need to do is to sign into blogger.com (Dashboard) and click "Create a blog" link at the top of the Dashboard, and you will be taken to a page to create a blogspot.com URL:

Google Blogger create a blogspot.com URL

In the second line, you will notice that the http:// has already been added to the front of the URL and blogspot.com is already added to the back of the URL. All you need to do is to type in something in front of blogspot.com and the URL of your newly created blog will become

http://myblog.blogspot.com

where myblog can be anything you choose. However, preferably use some key words that will help describe the content you intend to put in the blog. This is for SEO (Search Engine Optimization (click BACK button to get back to this page) to help surfers using search engines find your blog more easily. There is a controversy over the use of hyphen ( - ) to separate words and I have not thoroughly research this area yet, but for the moment, I use hyphen for all my URLs. For example, the URL of this blog is

http://blogger-tricks.blogspot.com

I actually wanted

http://blogger-tips.blogspot.com

but that has been taken already by others and not available. I would suggest you check the availability of the blog URL you chose by clicking "Check Availability" and if it is not available, you can get creative and try to use alternatives that still have the key words in the blog URL. There are some suggestions in What to do if a blogspot.com URL is not available (click BACK button to get back to this page).

Using important keywords is important for SEO (Search Engine Optimization because the search engines places great importance on the URL of a website.

http://blogger-tricks.blogspot.com

and similar blog URLs are sub domain of blogspot.com and belong to Google Blogger, but now with the New Blogger (or just plain Blogger), you can register your own domain and convert your existing blogspot.com blogs to using New Blogger custom domain (click BACK button to get back to this page) and the new domain for your blog will belong to you and not Google Blogger, and many says command more respect from surfers as they say using blogspot.com is like using your house address for business. Potential business partners and customers may look down on the use of home addresses for business.

I have published a post giving reasons why I never use custom domain, but I have changed my mind.

What is more important to me now is the fact that the Google PageRank of a blogspot.com blog like this one belong to Google Blogger and you cannot sell a blogspot.com blog, but you can sell a blog using New Blogger custom domain (click BACK button to get back to this page).

None of my children have indicated any interest in taking over my blogging ventures, and I am in the process of using a custom domain. I can actually convert this blog to use custom domain, but the PageRank of this blog will not transfer to the new domain. Although Blogger will redirect traffic to

http://blogger-tricks.blogspot.com

to my newly created domain

http://blogger-tips-tricks.com

if I convert this blog to use the above domain, I am not sure about links to individual post pages (permalinks) of which there are many. I suspect they will become dead links and search engines do not like dead links on a website and may penalize the website for the dead links. I will later conduct a test to confirm this.

I thus have created this new blog Tips and Tricks for Google Blogger which will eventually be using custom domain when I find the time and is confident there will be no problems.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank You for this tips

regards
web design company

Pinoy Wit said...

Any update on this sir? Perhaps you can just maintain your custom domain as a separate entity. Keep this old blog as is and just post a final post that you are transferring to a new domain.

Sigh I would have loved to be your daughter. I would definitely show interest to become your blogging student :)

DJones said...

the days of blooger is gone. its the era of wordpress

roku box